Unexplored Review

Today has been an interesting day (you know what i'm talking about) and I thought it's time to feature an indie game. I present to you a neat little game called Unexplored released on the 10th of August.

I managed to get a key from Ludomotion (the devs who worked on the game).

So just like my Just Cause 3 Review i'll be splitting this up into 3 categories:

Story

Gameplay

Other Features 

Because this is an indie game the minimum is 2 hours (which is how much I've played).
Story



Unexplored doesn't have much of a story. You know you are a creature going into the dungeons of doom but who are you fully and why are you doing this? These are questions still left unanswered.

That being said it still is an interesting game.

7/10 No deep sotryline but doesn't affect the gameplay.

Gameplay



Speaking of gameplay this game has some of the best combat mechanics I have seen since GTA V. The combat keeps you intrigued while still being simple and with a range of weapons to choose from (daggers, staffs, shovels etc) you have a wide variety of choices on how to take down your enemy.

The game works on a permadeath system. You enter the dungeons fighting off bosses until you die, that's when you start over having to attain everything you lost again. While this may seem frustrating it keeps the game fresh and interesting.

Now I have experienced 3 crashes so far. The first one being trying to throw out a cursed item that was recently uncursed. When I rebooted I noticed I'd lost the weapon that I was trying to replace it with.

The second one was more severe as I tried to throw a flask out causing the game to freeze and reboot. To my shock I had lost all my healing items and scrolls. Not shortly I died which added to the frustration.

The third one only made me lose my shield 

But we must keep in mind that this is game is in early access and still has alot of updates ahead.

9/10 for good mechanics but bugs need fixing 

Other Features 

This is the bit I've wanted to talk about, the procedurally generated dungeons.

Every time you walk into a dungeon it will be different, this works a little bit like the planet generator for No Man's Sky. This is one of my favorite mechanics in video games and I think this game deserves a 8/10 already in this category.

I also like the fact the devs aren't turning this into a non update-able game. Over time this game will get new content (and that's pretty impressive considering how much content there is already).

The soundtrack somehow doesn't get repetitive and helps enhance the epic adventure your'e about to embark on.

One thing I must say is I wish there was a leveling system. Perhaps with 3 skill trees and even character classes but this doesn't stop the game from getting a

10/10 for content and different dungeons every time.






Overall

7/10 
9/10
10/10

= 26/30

An almost perfect game but needs bug fixes and a backstory on how the character existed.


If you are interested in this game you can check it out here

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Message About CPGN

Hello! It's been a while, hasn't it? Apparently, I still get 200-300 views a month which is incredible considering this blog is slow...